About Me

October 31, 2017

Empty House ....


I truly was not one of those moms who couldn't wait for her kids to grow up. I cherished being surrounded by my little ones, even on the days that seemed like they would never end when things didn't go as planned. I dreaded the idea of my kids leaving home. And moving on. I feel fortunate we had a larger family, so the leaving took longer and I'm grateful for the extra time we got.

My house is quiet now. We still have two at home and one grand baby as well. Most days and nights, our home is filled with noise and activity. But I do get a glimpse every now and then of what it will be like once everyone is gone. Yesterday was a prime example and today will be more of the same. By 8 a.m. everyone is up and ready to leave the house. Two days every week I have quiet all to myself and the house is still. Some days I love the time I have to do work I have at home, to tackle projects, to write, to dream, to garden, to clean, to fold and to read. Other times, I find it a bit unnerving and end up putting the tv on so there is chatter in the background or music to work by. And in those moments, I'm appreciative of the fact that both daughters who reside with us won't be leaving any time soon. The quiet is lovely but only in little bits. I still need life and activity around me to be truly happy. I may be an introvert but I still need my noise and my people around me. Do you need yours too?

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I feel much like you do... I enjoy the quiet in small doses. My DH volunteers 2 mornings a week and my son and DIL leave the house early dropping the grands off at their schools. Normally everyone is back between 4 and 5.
I loved having my children around although there were days when I could have cheerfully given them away. LOL Guess I am so fortunate that all 5 live within a 10 minute drive from my house.

Mereknits said...

My house won't be quiet for a while with Little Buddy here but I understand what you are saying. I cherish any moment of quiet I can get, but would not want it all the time.